Co-Sleeping is an ancient practice. Sharing the parent’s bed with an infant was the norm in all societies prior to the 1700s according to a 1995 study published by the Official Journal of the Royal College of Midwives.
In many countries and cultures, co-sleeping is still widely practiced, where the benefit for both babies and mothers can still be seen today. Medical and scientific evidence suggests that co-sleeping (sleeping in close quarters with baby and parent) has many benefits that the Western practice of leaving infants alone in a room of their own does not.
SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE INFO
Safe Co-sleeping makes it easier for mothers to breastfeed for longer and more often.
- Reduces the risk of breast cancer for the mother
- Boosts baby’s immune system
- Enhances baby’s brain development
- Sooths and calms both baby and mom
- Babies get more physical affection
- Parents often get more sleep
- Recommended by lactation consultants
Babies who co-sleep are often reported to seem happier than babies who don’t. Lactation consultants, doulas, midwives, and safe sleep professionals recommend the babybay bedside sleeper for safe co-sleeping practices. The eco-friendly, non toxic baby crib allows parents and their newborn to sleep side by side at night, but in separate spaces. This is safe co-sleeping at its best.
Cosleeping benefits for baby:
- Reduces crying
- Regulates breathing
- Regulates body temperature
- Reduces stress hormones
- Boosts baby’s immune system
- Increases oxygenation
Though there are dangers associated with certain types of co-sleeping, not all co-sleeping was created equally. Bed-sharing and couch-sharing have proven to be dangerous for babies, occasionally leading to SIDS.
But co-sleeping can be perfectly safe if done right.
Safe co-sleeping, or room-sharing, ensures that the infant is close to his or her parents, but not directly in bed with them, where overheating or suffocation from sheets being pulled up too high may occur. A bedside sleeper allows for safe co-sleeping to take place, giving baby his or her own crib space, while snuggled up right next to the parent’s bed.
Sharing such a close space with your baby at night lets you form a stronger bond than if your baby was left alone in his or her own room.
Preventing spikes in stress hormones also has long-term effects on a child. Keeping babies calm, happy, and emotionally healthy is important in raising happy, healthy adults. When babies are exposed to periods of high stress, like waking up to a dark, empty room as an infant, they’re more likely to develop behavior problems and stress-related diseases as adults (Asok et al 2013; Luby et al 2013).
Tips for Safe Co-Sleeping
There are two safe ways to co-sleep in the same room. One is by using a co-sleeper or bedside sleeper that is essentially a baby crib that attaches to the parents bed snugly and securely. The second way is to put the baby’s crib in the same room. This doesn’t offer all the benefits of co-sleeping, but still allows the newborn to synch up to his or her parent’s rhythms and reduces stress.
When practicing safe co-sleeping there are some techniques you should know.
- Your baby should always be placed on his or her back to sleep.
- The crib mattress must be firm; soft sleeping surfaces can lead to suffocation.
- The sheets should fit snugly and securely around the mattress, and the mattress should fit snugly and securely in the crib, ensuring no gaps.
- Never place stuffed animals, toys, or loose blankets in the crib, as these can lead to suffocation. Use a baby swaddle or sleep sack instead of a blanket in the first few months.
All-Natural, Eco-Friendly, Non-Toxic Bedside Sleeper: Meet your babybay
babybay offers a line of all-natural, sustainably sourced, eco-friendly bedside sleepers to promote a healthy sleep environment for your newborn. Unlike other co-sleepers on the market, babybay uses no plastics or harmful glues. All our finishes are low to zero VOC and certified non-toxic.
Advantages to babybay:
- Fits snugly and securely to the parent’s bed at any height
- Assembles in less than 15 minutes
- Can be used as a stand alone crib
- Customizeable colors, mattress firmness, and accessories
- Easily rolls from room to room with lockable rolling casters
For personalized answers to your babybay or co-sleeping questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-MY-BABYBAY